Dr - 1. I have a strange situation that I

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Dr -

1. I have a strange situation that I need to ask you about

2. On some occasions when I am waking up from sleep I find it painful & difficult to flex or bend my right index finger at the joint - it feels like it's numb or something

3. Then once I flex it - it feels normal again & doesn't seem to bother me during my waking hours

4. Although I have noticed a small swelling at the joint of that finger - the joint that is used to bend or flex the finger

5 do you know what this could be?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be due to trigger finger

Detailed Answer:
The difficulty in flexing the finger with a mid swelling in the joint area is suggestive of a mild tendon inflammation causing a trigger finger. Regular physiotherapy and mild pain killers with a hot compress can help in reducing the inflammation. You can get it examined by your physician for confirmation and get proper anti inflammatory medications prescribed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 hours later
Dr - thank you

1. I think this may have a connection with a cervical disc protrusion that I developed after a car crash many years ago

2. I have noticed on some occasions I get some numbness in my hand/fingers when I am asleep in some position where the cervical disc gets irritated

3. Years ago an MRI did confirm the cervical disc protrusion at C3-C4

3. Do you think this may be accurate?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Numbness can be related to cervical disc.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The difficulty in flexion is related to a tendon related problem. The numbness in the area can be related to cervical disc protrusion.
If this is related to cervical disc protrusion then it can improve with cervical isometric exercises and methylcobalamin supplements.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Dr -- Thank you

1. sometimes I practice yoga & some poses require that I lie down & raise my feet in the air - then fold my legs all the way back until my feet touch the ground behind my head. This is known as plough pose. I have attached a picture of this pose for your convenience.

2. do you think that this pose can cause [further] damage to my cervical spine?

3. what other activities do you think are harmful for the cervical spine?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
This pose will not harm.

Detailed Answer:
If you have been doing plough pose earlier also then it is not likely to harm the cervical spine. Rather it will add to its flexibility.
You need to avoid using a pillow, avoid abnormal neck positions and maintain a proper posture while working on computer, etc.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 hours later
Dr -- thank you --

1. are you recommending that I sleep without a pillow? why is that?

2. a chiropractor once gave me a pillow and I use it regularly -- should I avoid that pillow as well?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can use a thin pillow.

Detailed Answer:
You can sleep without a pillow or use a thin pillow so that your head and neck remains in a straight line so as to cause minimal discomfort to the neck muscles. If the pillow that your chiropractor gave was a thin one( not more than 2 inches high) and soft then you can use it.
Regards.