Dr -- 1. I have noticed that [especially in the
1. I have noticed that [especially in the winter] my right side seems colder than my left.
2. in other words, my right hand is usually colder than my left hand & my right foot is usually colder than my left foot. My right toes are usually colder than my left toes.
3. do you know why this could be? is this normal or a sign of a medical condition?
Nothing to be concerned about
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. The way your body responds to cold and other situations is to constrict the blood vessels (to preserve warmth), which makes your feet and hands feel cold. This is regulated through a complex relationship between the blood vessels and nerves. If there was some problem with the circulation to either your hands or feet, that could make one part of your body feel cold. However, there are two separate arteries that supply your arm and your leg, so I do not believe there could be a major problem with your circulation causing this problem. Also, the nerves supplying these areas come from different sources and a problem there would not explain your symptoms.
There are many causes of cold hands and feet in general, including anemia, diabetes, thyroid problems, and other kinds of blood vessel diseases. But if your main concern was the difference between the two sides of your body, I wouldn't worry about it. It may just be way your body is (we are all unique in some ways), but it doesn't indicate any specific medical problem.
I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions about that and I'd be glad to discuss it further with you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining