Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Done with TSH test. Is it normal? Suggest the diet chart?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 103 Questions
I want to reduce my weight, my weight is 117kg height 6.i am tsh patient test report 8.5, so kndly advice diet chart and i didnt have any medicine , sorry i frgt i hve uricacid 8.2report , kndly advice medicine also.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

As you have written you have high TSH (8.5)miu/ml which is way above the normal level for TSH.
The first and foremost is that you are suffering from Hypothyroid and this is primary cause for your weight gain ( of course you have not mentioned since how long you have weight gain and what was your weight prior to this. But irrespective of any baseline weight (weight when you were normothyroid) any body who has hypothyroid will tend to gain weight despite normal diet.

Diet is not the switching factor for your weight gain as you are XXXXXXX hypothyroid so initially it is important to control the Thyroid condition and for which you need also to know whether this hypothyroid is due to some acquired condition eg Acute Thyroidities/ Chronic or subacute thyroiditis besides of course other causes that need to be ruled out by both blood test and radiological test of Thyroid gland.

After that you may be prescribed replacement therapy with Eltroxin the dose and duration of the treatment will be decided by your treating physician who will take in to account the test results.
After taking the medication you will see spontaneously better control on your weight even with or without diet restriction.

However if instead of taking the medication if you try to control diet or follow a prescribed diet chart (which will be available from a dietician who will take in to account your present diet)that alone will not lead to weight management.

Hope this is helpful and if you still have follow up query you are most welcome
with best wishes
Dr Chowhan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Done with TSH test. Is it normal? Suggest the diet chart? 45 minutes later
Kndly advice which test i want to do kndly mention and u dnt mention about uricacid. Dr i am lab, kndly mention what test i want to do
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 2 days later
Brief Answer:
tests detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Your treating Doctor can advice but if you want me to advise the following tests may be done:
1.Anti TPO antibody.
2.Thyroid scan.
If you want me to comment about uric acid that is not related to weight gain (as your primary concern is weight gain and how to control the same so I tailored my answer as per your main concern.
As regards the raised uric acid some food specially nonvegetarian food can raise the Sr Uric acid also A high uric acid level, or hyperuricemia, is an excess of uric acid in your blood. Uric acid is produced during the breakdown of purine, a substance found in many foods. Once produced, uric acid is carried in your blood and passes through your kidneys, where most of it leaves your body when you urinate.
If you have joint pain (Raised uric acid can cause gout) you need to cut down foods that raise uric acid (specially high protein diet that is mostly nonvegetarian)
Hope you got the reply that is required.
with best wishes
Dr Chowhan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor