Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Done with MRI test. Having disc desiccation, compression on thesal sac and intended nerve root. Medication?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 349 Questions
After MRI testing the report has told "Early disc desiccation with central disc protrusion noted at L4/5 and L5/SI levels causing compression on thecal sac and mild indentation on bilateral nerve roots (Left > Right) in lateral races (Spinal canal diameter at L4/5 ~ 9.4mm & L5/SI ~ 7.8mm) XXXXXXX
Please help me to find the medication of this disease.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later
Thanks for the query.
The MRI report is indicative of mild compression of the nerves in the spine which is causing pain during activities requiring forward bending. The treatment includes medications to reduce neuropathic pain (like duloxetine which she is already taking). Apart from that physiotherapy to strengthen back muscles is also required. During increased pain hot fomentation, application of ointments etc gives relief. Since problem is mild, surgery is not indicated at this stage. There is no medication to reverse disc protrusion and this protrusion may heal on its own over few months.
Hope that answers your query. If there are more queries, I will be happy to answer.
good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Done with MRI test. Having disc desiccation, compression on thesal sac and intended nerve root. Medication? 12 hours later
The MRI Report of right Shoulder of my mother age 46/F:
Sequences - MRI of right shoulder done by using SE T, T2 and FAT SATsequences in oblique, axial and coronal plane.

Study shows - Minimal joint effusion is noted.

She always gets pain in right elbow (to hand). Sometimes it becomes severe. That moment she takes some steroids.
Please suggest me what should be the proper medication for this?
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 12 hours later
Probably your mother has orthopedic problem. Kindly put it up as a separate question to orthopedician.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor