Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Done with MRI and CT scan for lumbar spine. What are the findings and is back surgery recommended?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5574 Questions
second opinion ct and mri is back surgery recommended?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I have gone through the CT and MRI reports.

Regarding the lumbar spine MRI, the findings suggest pinching of nerves at lower back and mild forward displacement of lower lumbar vertebral bone. As such, back surgery is not a must in your case.

Treatment at this stage would consist of using neuropathic pain medications such as gabapentin and pregabalin. Physiotherapy including back extension exercises, IFT, ultrasound, etc would also be useful.

However, surgery may be required in the following situations:

1. Severe leg pain not responding to medical treatment,
2. Weakness of foot, increasing numbness over foot or leg, bladder symptoms.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Done with MRI and CT scan for lumbar spine. What are the findings and is back surgery recommended? 11 minutes later
Had pain in right buttock, right thigh and tingling in right lower leg and foot. Already had 3 shots in lower spine and physical therapy. After 1st shot i now have the same problem on the left buttock, thigh, lower leg and foot. Was not there before shots. Now hurts more than the right. Have trouble sitting, standing still, walking long periods of time and can not lye down in any position without pain. Allergic to Gabapentin. is there anything else I can do?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

It is unfortunate you have not responded well to the conservative treatment. You could try duloxetine for relief from neuropathic pain. If this does not help, then, possibly surgery would be required.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor