Done with CA125 test. Diagnosed with atypic complex hyperplasia. Polyp was removed from cervix. What does the report mean?
FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE.
Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:
1) You have greater risk for development of endometrial or ovarian cancer in future due to a) positive family history of ovarian cancer and b) current atypic complex endometrial hyperplasia. Here, you have to undergo routine screening test like Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan, serial Ca-125, Pap smear on yearly basis.
2) CA-125 is a cancer antigen-125 which is found in most ovarian cancer cells that are elevated compared to normal cells. Second generation test is preferable for testing and accurate result.
The CA-125 test has an 80% chance of true positive results from stage II, III, and IV ovarian cancer patients. However, 20% of ovarian cancer patients do not show any increase in CA-125 level. CA-125 test has a lower specificity in premenopausal women than postmenopausal women.
Your last 3 results are within normal range (slight variation) but CA-125 test should not be used alone to detect ovarian cancer but it should be combined with TVS scan and recto-vaginal pelvic examination for greater accuracy.
Normal CA-125 levels may be true or false negative result. All negative CA-125 results are verified by other diagnostic methods. CA-125 test is more accurate for later stage cancers, making it a poor early detection method.
Therefore, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist to get examined and undergo relevant investigations as mentioned above.
3) In this circumstance, best and definite treatment option is total abdominal hysterectomy with removal of both sided ovaries and fallopian tubes (TAH and BSO). It is the gold standard choice on family completed women. It will eliminate certain risks of future cancer and you will get some relief.
Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.
Wish your good health and take care yourself.
For future query, you can directly approach me through
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Polyp with atypical simple hyperplasia
- What does lymphoid hyperplasia mean
- Complex atypical hyperplasia
- Atypical complex adenomatous hyperplasia
- What does reactive lymphoid hyperplasia mean in tonsils
- Lymph node hyperplasia in throat what means
- Surgery to remove polyp on cervix
- Removing polyp frm cervix
- What does reative hyperplasia mean
- Ductal papilloma with atypical hyperplasia
- Having irregular periods, anxiety and nervous. Should I be concerned?
- Pregnant. Getting headache, nausea, tingling and numbess on vagina. Is...
- Took ipill after unprotected sex. Missing period. Home pregnancy test...
- Have ovarian cyst with small oblong periphral hyperechoic clot. Surgery...
- Got vomiting after taking ipill. Should I take it again?
- Prescribed cycloreg for missed period. Pregnancy test positive. Will...
- Had heavy bleeding during periods. USG showed intrauterine mass lesion....
- Planning to conceive. Having PCOS. Pregnancy test negative. Ultrasound...
- Had miscarriage. Trying to conceive get lower stomach pains, like...
- Took ipill after unprotected sex. Got period and missed for next month....