question-icon

Done with CA125 test. Diagnosed with atypic complex hyperplasia. Polyp was removed from cervix. What does the report mean?

default
Posted on Thu, 31 Oct 2013
Question: 8 yrs ago my ca125 was 7. At that time my doctored ordered it to obtain a baseline because ovarian ca runs in my family. I was recently dx'd with atypic complex hyperplasia. I also had polyp removed from the cervix.Last year my ca125 was 13.4 and this year, it was 15. I know that its within the normal range, but what does this steady rise in numbers mean?
doctor
Answered by Dr. S Patra (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE.

Detailed Answer:
Hello,

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) You have greater risk for development of endometrial or ovarian cancer in future due to a) positive family history of ovarian cancer and b) current atypic complex endometrial hyperplasia. Here, you have to undergo routine screening test like Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan, serial Ca-125, Pap smear on yearly basis.

2) CA-125 is a cancer antigen-125 which is found in most ovarian cancer cells that are elevated compared to normal cells. Second generation test is preferable for testing and accurate result.

The CA-125 test has an 80% chance of true positive results from stage II, III, and IV ovarian cancer patients. However, 20% of ovarian cancer patients do not show any increase in CA-125 level. CA-125 test has a lower specificity in premenopausal women than postmenopausal women.

Your last 3 results are within normal range (slight variation) but CA-125 test should not be used alone to detect ovarian cancer but it should be combined with TVS scan and recto-vaginal pelvic examination for greater accuracy.

Normal CA-125 levels may be true or false negative result. All negative CA-125 results are verified by other diagnostic methods. CA-125 test is more accurate for later stage cancers, making it a poor early detection method.

Therefore, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist to get examined and undergo relevant investigations as mentioned above.

3) In this circumstance, best and definite treatment option is total abdominal hysterectomy with removal of both sided ovaries and fallopian tubes (TAH and BSO). It is the gold standard choice on family completed women. It will eliminate certain risks of future cancer and you will get some relief.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Regards,
Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. S Patra

OB & GYN Specialist

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4048 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Done with CA125 test. Diagnosed with atypic complex hyperplasia. Polyp was removed from cervix. What does the report mean?

Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE.

Detailed Answer:
Hello,

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) You have greater risk for development of endometrial or ovarian cancer in future due to a) positive family history of ovarian cancer and b) current atypic complex endometrial hyperplasia. Here, you have to undergo routine screening test like Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan, serial Ca-125, Pap smear on yearly basis.

2) CA-125 is a cancer antigen-125 which is found in most ovarian cancer cells that are elevated compared to normal cells. Second generation test is preferable for testing and accurate result.

The CA-125 test has an 80% chance of true positive results from stage II, III, and IV ovarian cancer patients. However, 20% of ovarian cancer patients do not show any increase in CA-125 level. CA-125 test has a lower specificity in premenopausal women than postmenopausal women.

Your last 3 results are within normal range (slight variation) but CA-125 test should not be used alone to detect ovarian cancer but it should be combined with TVS scan and recto-vaginal pelvic examination for greater accuracy.

Normal CA-125 levels may be true or false negative result. All negative CA-125 results are verified by other diagnostic methods. CA-125 test is more accurate for later stage cancers, making it a poor early detection method.

Therefore, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist to get examined and undergo relevant investigations as mentioned above.

3) In this circumstance, best and definite treatment option is total abdominal hysterectomy with removal of both sided ovaries and fallopian tubes (TAH and BSO). It is the gold standard choice on family completed women. It will eliminate certain risks of future cancer and you will get some relief.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Regards,
Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
WWW.WWWW.WW