Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Done complete blood work. What does the report indicate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5762 Questions
I had a complete blood work up done on me. I am a female aged 52.. What does it mean when it says I have a slightly abnormal blood test result?

I should be a bit more specific, so here goes under "chemistry" my AST # was 37 H. The range for this is (14-36). under Blood Count" my RBC was 5.13 and the range is (3.70-5.00), my HGH was 16.4 and the range is (12.0-16.0) and lastly my Hct was 48.1 and the range is (36.0-46.0. So any opinions would be much appreciated. thank you in advance for your time & help
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 50 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Reference ranges are based of the average results of some part of population established by some tests done in the past. So we can say it is only statistic. Slightly abnormal tests results usually does not indicate anything serious. It so is at your case.
AST 37 is not an abnormal result for sure. If there is any liver problem, this indicator is around 1000. So for sure this does not indicate anything serious.
Your RBC, HGB and HCT levels are slightly elevated, most likely due to dehydration. Low liquids intake can give such results. And this is very common.
You should be worried if this 3 indicators would be low, not slightly elevated.
So in conclusion, there is nothing to worry about.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor