Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Done chemotherapy for rectal cancer. Decreased WBC count. Should we get treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions

My mother is having rectal cancer,she has completed 4 sittings of chemotherapy she is not able taste anything and not able to take food.and her white blood cell count decreased to 2500 and blood % is 70. Please suggest shall we proceed for treatment or not?
what type of food she needs to have to increase white blood cells?
My email id: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 24 minutes later

At those levels chemotherapy should be stopped.And repeat tests should be done a week later and then decision about chemotherapy can be revised or tests can be repeated one week later once again if needed.

There is no particular type of food which can increase blood cells.But growth hormone can be tried, but decision about this should be made after consultation with medical oncologist.

If she is not able to take food at all, then she can be given liquid diet through RT/ oral feeding tube.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor