Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Done blood work. Reason for high levels of SGPT and SGOT?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1561 Questions
I am 44 years old Male..Please give an opinion after reading the results of my blood work.

B.Sugar (F) - 80mg%
B.Sugar (PP)- 100mg%
S. Creatinine - 1.2mg/100ml
S.Cholestrol -190mg%
S.Triglycerides - 110mg%
HDL cholestrol - 33mg/100ml
LDL cholestrol - 135mg/100ml
VLDL cholestrol - 22mg/100ml
SGOT - 39 U/L
SGPT - 80 U/L
S.Total bilrubin - 0.6mg/100ml
S. Total protein - 7.4gm/100ml
Albumin - 4.4gm/100ml
Globulin -3,0 gm/100ml
S,Alkaline phosphatase - 275u/l

I have not been affected with Hepatitis or jaundice so far. I am not taking medicines..I used to drink once or twice a week...Pl give an opinion. pl clarify the reason for higher level of SGOT and SGPT,,
and how it can bring under normal counts...
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later

Thanks for using XXXXXXX

1. After going through your report and history,
Your sugar levels are normal.
Kidney function is normal.
Lipid profile: Total cholesterol, Triglycerides are normal, HDL slightly reduced with borderline rise in LDL.
Liver function test: Abnormal in S Alkaline phosphatase and SGOT, SGPT.

2. Jaundice will occur if there is raise in bilirubin levels. It is normal so you don't have jaundice.

3. The abnormal LFT suggest some pathology in the liver. Since there is not much raise in SGOT there the parenchymal cells may no be involved. S Alkaline phosphatase increase in cholangitis or cholestasis or any damage in biliary tract. These may also increase in other organ problem.

4. So I advice you to get one USG abdomen and pelvis and HBsAg and HCV done to know any problem in liver. Now take nutritious food XXXXXXX in carbohydrate, Syp Liv 52 and plenty of fluids(water and fruit juice).
Do regular exercise with adequate calorie intake and limit your alcohol intake upto maximum of 20g. These will help you to get back to normal values.

Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further examination and management.
Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor