Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Done blood test, shows leucocytosis with thrombocytosis, ESR and globulin level high. Whom should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I am 34yrs old female. Today I casually went for general health check thru a laboratory. In results my WBC observed value is 0000(normal range is 4000-0000/cmm), platelet count is 473(150-400 thou/cmm). Impression reads as Leucocytosis with thrombocytosis - for clinical correlation.
Also my ESR is 23(< 20mm) globulin (serum/calculation) is 3.7(2.3-3.5 gm/dl
In urine routine examination result is leucocytes levels are at 5-6/hpf, R B Cs at 6-8/hpf and epithelial cells at 2-3/hpf. Can I get a guidance on what could be the problem in these observation levels as I see only above mentioned values are beyond normal range. Also guide me on should I consult a specialist or general physician?
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I have gone through your reports and the following can be concluded from them,
1.The leucocytosis , high ESR and thrombocytosis could most probably be due to an underlying infection , inflammation or allergy.
2. The urine picture could be due to a possible symptoms like painful, burning or frequent urination .
3. Your lipid profile is deranged suggestive hyperlipidemia ( increased cholesterol ) and fasting blood glucose levels are mildly raised increasing the risk of development of diabetes in future.Liver profile doesn't seem worrisome ( s. globulin)
I understand your concern as you have no symptoms at present but your reports do suggest a minor problem , most probably a urinary tract inflammation or infection and hyperlipidemia .
For the treatment it's advisable to consult a specialist of XXXXXXX medicine ( MD physician) who can further evaluate your clinical history , confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate treatment .
Please do not worry as the situation at present is not worrisome but only a warning that you might suffer from further problems if the exact diagnosis is not confirmed and treated.
So relax and consult your doctor . It is very likely that your reports will soon be normalized after appropriate antibiotic and lipid lowering medicines.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor