Done blood test for cholesterol level. What does the report say?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: i got my blood test done recently
and results are CHOLESTEROL TOTAL PHOTOMETRY 283 mg% 125 - 200
CHOLESTEROL HDL - DIRECT PHOTOMETRY 54 mg% 35-80
LDL CHOLESTEROL CALCULATED 170 mg% 85 - 130
TRIGLYCERIDES PHOTOMETRY 297 mg% 25 - 200
TC/ HDL CHOLESTEROL RATIO CALCULATED 5.2 Ratio 3.0 - 5.0
LDL / HDL RATIO CALCULATED 3.1 Ratio 1.5 - 3.5
VLDL CHOLESTEROL CALCULATED 59.46 mg% 5 - 40

Please mention what my blood picture indicates?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your blood results are fine except cholesterol (your LDL fraction of it) and triglycerides levels. This two parameters indicates that the blood contains too much of fat and fatty like substances. This cholesterol flows with the blood to the tissues. During this process, some part of it builds-up in to the arteries walls. This is the main reason of arteriosclerosis which leads to heart diseases (heart attack), kidney diseases, brain strokes. This fatty substances also do cumulate in the liver causing fatty liver what leads to liver cirrhosis.
That is why it is very important for you to make some changes in your diet. You should avoid fatty foods and soft drinks. Increase vegetables and fiber XXXXXXX products intake. You should also be prescribed with some medicine decreasing cholesterol blood level (so called statins).
It is also advisable for you to check your blood sugar level.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.