Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Done blood test. What is my BAC?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 67 Questions
If my blood test said I have a white blood count of 19.9, hemoglobin 13.7, olatelet count 309, CPK 107 and an alcohol level of 195, does that mean the BAC is translated to a 0.195?
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. J. Clive Spiegel 6 hours later
Yes, you are absolutely correct. In many states of the USA, the legal limit is 0.08 which translates to a serum level of 80 when your blood is drawn. So a level of 0.195 would translate to 195 in the blood which is more than twice the legal limit (closer to two and half times the legal limit actually). At a level of 195 you would certainly be deemed alcoholically intoxicated in every state in the USA and every province in Canada. If you are caught with a BAC of 195 while driving a vehicle, you would most certainly be charged with driving while intoxicated . I hope this answers your question to your satisfaction. Best of health to you!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Done blood test. What is my BAC? 1 hour later
Is the blood alcohol level affected (lower or higher) by significant loss of blood or administration of an IV prior to taking the blood sample?
Answered by Dr. J. Clive Spiegel 46 minutes later

Simply put, no. The blood alcohol concentration is not dependent on blood count or recent transfusion of blood Products. It is also not affected by significant loss of blood or administration of an IV prior to taking the blood sample.

It is also NOT affected by nutritional status, body weight, liver status, etc.

It is affected by one thing only: how much Alcohol is consumed and how soon after consumption, the blood is sampled.

I hope this clarifies your question. Please do write back in case you have further queries to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor