Done a test for blood pressure and BPM. Can I go for a drive now?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I was starting the check for the prelimnitary check up for ED and during this pre-check,they cupped my arm for pulse/blood presure and noted that my BP was 140/80 and pulse was reading around 30 bpm . They removed the arm cup and check my pulse the old fashion way ---wristed watch / counting pulse felt at the wrist. They said it still came out to something near 30 bpm.......
Is it possible to stay consious or move around (drive 30 mile prior to & after this test ) ?
I had a appointment with my Cardio Spec. set for , 1/23/13 ....Or should I try to move this up ?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 52 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

With past history of heart problem, with risk factors like Blood Pressure, Cholesterol and overweight - you MUST GO THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT – IMMEDIATELY
A problem of Coronary Artery and/or Conduction system is highly likely.
     The situation demands immediate attention / investigation of the HEART. In suspected heart attack or heart block, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE – if detected early, an attack may even be aborted / the amount of damage and complications can be reduced remarkably.

Pulse rate may fall short of heart rate.
Some weak (Low volume) beats may not be felt.
Typical example is Atrial Fibrillation.

There is the possibility of Complete Heart Block.
It is not impossible, though less probable
The situation could have been transient – lasted a few minutes and recovered.

SEE YOUR DOCTOR NOW

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck