question-icon

Done Liver Function Test. What are the findings?

Posted on Tue, 15 Oct 2013
Question: ast-sgot 51 bilirubin total .01 bun 20 chloride 111 all of these are out of rang what dose this mean
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
The mild elevated values are not significant.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
AST levels at 51 is marginally raised and is not significant. Such a mild rise in the levels will return to normal in 6-8 weeks with restriction of fatty meals and alcohol.
BUN is considered normal till 20 mmol/L in adults.
Chloride level is slightly raised in your case which can happen due to mild metabolic acidosis or renal acidosis. Taking plenty of fluids orally will help in correcting this imbalance. Such mild elevation in the levels is not worrisome.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN