Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Done CBC test, have acid reflux, coughing up blood. Had UTI treated with Macrobid. What questions should we ask the doctor?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions

I am accompanying my mom to an Oncologist/Hematologist on Thursday. Her CBC numbers are: WBC : 13.5 (h), RBC: 4.14, HGB: 12.0, HCT: 36.4, MCV: 87.8, MCH: 29.0, MCHC: 33.1, PLT: 436 (H), RDW: 18.6 (H), MPV: 9.1, NE%: 78.9 (H), LY%: 13.8 (L), MO%: 5.4, EO%: 1.6, BA%: 0.3, NE#: 10.7 (H), LY#: 1.9, MO#: 1.1 (H), EO#: 0.2, BA#: 0.0, COMM 1: 1+aniso, #GR: 8.2 (H).

She is a white female, 70 years old, relatively good health, with the exception of almost chronic acid reflux. She complained of coughing up blood, and has has a recent Macrobid.

I am just asking what kind of questions should we ask when we visit the blood doctor? Thank you! Shari R
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Your mother's hematology reports are normal with normal WBC, TLC, hemoglobin, platelet count and MCV.

If your mother has blood on coughing then there is no hematological abnormality causing Hemoptysis (blood on cough).

You should ask to your doctor:

a)     Whether any lung/ heart disease is causing coughing of blood?

b)     Whether any other blood test (Bleeding time, clotting time, liver function test, prothrombin time) is required?

c)     Ask your doctor for chest x XXXXXXX ECG, Pulmonary function test (if X XXXXXXX is normal), Broncoscopy and Bronchoalveolar lavage to rule out any cancerous changes.

d) You should also go for Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, sometimes blood from upper gastrointestinal tract may present as blood during cough.

Thanks & Hope for early recovery.

Please write back for follow up queries that you may have.


Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor