Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Dog accidentally bite my eye. Have pain in eyelid. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
My young puppy accidentally bite my eye last night. There is no visable swelling but my eye feels like there is a hair in it or it is scratched. The pain is mostly in the upper eyelid. I have put some otc drops in it but it does not help much. I have some gentimiacin for another eye problem long ago would it be wise to use this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Foreign body sensation is very common after such episodes. However the extent of injury to various structures of the eye can be known by a clinical evaluation of your eyes. Further, you have not mentioned if there is any redness, pain, any thick secretion, etc., in your injured eye.
You need evaluation by a local ophthalmologist.

If only eye lid is injured then you will have the best recovery and within days. Over the counter analgesics and topical antibiotic on the injured area can suffice.But if other areas are affected, you will need other forms of treatment - the main objective is to see if other structures are injured or not.

Therefore I strongly advise you to go to a local ophthalmologist and get examined. Please don’t use any medicine into the eye without a proper eye- check up.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you any query

Dr Gopal Krishna Dash
MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology), Post-doctoral fellowship (Epilepsy)
Consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor