Does wine interact with Mirtazapine?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Dear Doctor - I am on 30mg Mirtazapine per day - would a couple of glasses of win interfere with its effectiveness. I take it in the evening about 10 pm few hours after dinner with wine.
Thank you, xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol products decreases it's levels

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic.

Your query regarding the interaction of mirtazipine with wine, can simply be understood as, the mirtazipine is metabolised by cytochrome enzyme system in the body and alcohol is an inducer of this system. Which means, it activates the enzyme and assists in over degradation of the drug. Thus drug toxicity is not caused though, but dosage readjustment may be needed to be done. You can discus with the prescribing doctor, if he suggests 30mg is your minimal requirement, then with wine it's dose has to be slightly increased to overcome the interaction effects.

Hope this has answered your query. If you dont have any more questions, please close the discussion. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 17 hours later
Dear Dr. Ulabidin,
Thank you for your reply. I have not taken any wine or alcohol since I started Mirtazapine - but had a glass or two each evening for past week and have been feeling a bit more depressed since. I wonder if there is a connection, and should I stop having any wine.
Many thanks,
xxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should better stop wine for a while as there is a connection

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for sharing the details. Yes it is more convenient to tapper off your wine intake for a while or change its timings as there is a connection and simultaneous intake or chronic intake in general leads to decreased drug levels then required for your symptoms and depression can stay for long then it would have with lone drug intake.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. If you don't have any more questions, please close the discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad