• question-icon

Does weight loss affect conception?

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Age: 29
Height: 5 Feet 7 inches
Weight: 70 KG
Gender: Female

I gained a lot of weight around 7 kg in last one year because I stopper going to gym and stopped dieting after my marriage. But now I would like to reduce weight and go back to 63 Kgs of weight. For this I am planning to join gym and start dieting.

My question is that I also have plans to concieve next year after May 2016.
So will my weight loss and diet will affect my health to concieve ? And Should I stop dieting and gym once I will start trying to concieve ?
Answered by Dr. Sonia Raina 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Well balanced diet, moderate exercise are beneficial

Detailed Answer:
Hello, greetings!
Thanks for posting your query in hcm. It is a good initiative that you are trying to be in the best of health.
You may certainly try to lose the extra weight you have put on during the course of last year.

You may join the gym and start with moderate exercise, but rather than plain dieting you can instead concentrate on having a balanced diet.
Reduce the intake of carbohydrates such as rice, fats such as butter, ghee and substitute sugary drinks with unsweetened fruit juices. Include oats, ragi plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.

If you lose weight in a healthy way i.e., not more than half a kg per week and avoid crash dieting, then it shoudn't affect your chances to conceive.
Once you start trying to conceive, you may continue with moderate exercise and concentrate on having a well balanced diet. This won't affect you in any way rather, keeping yourself healthy and physically fit will have a beneficial effect on your chances to conceive.
Hope this helps you. If you have any further doubts/ clarifications, please feel free to contact me.
Dr. Sonia
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sonia Raina 25 minutes later
Thanks a lot !!!
Answered by Dr. Sonia Raina 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome XXXXXXX
Always there to help.
Dr. Sonia
Dr. Sonia Raina