Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Does warmer climate help reducing pain due to spinal stenosis and spondyliosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2254 Questions
My 50-year old daughter has inoperable spinal stenosis and spondyliosis . She is acute chronic pain. We live in Michigan with snow and cold weather being more prevalent than warmth. Would moving to a warmer climate really help her?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Warm climate is better than colder ones.. Detailed Answer: Hi, I am sorry for the situation your daughter is in. It is true that warmer climate would have positive effect on your daughter reducing the pain attacks. You can discuss with her doctor to shift to a warmer place, and to keep with you all her medical records with you. Please bare in mind that cloudy and rainy weather can aggravate her pain too. All the best to your daughter and you all! Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Does warmer climate help reducing pain due to spinal stenosis and spondyliosis? 3 days later
Any ideas how to make her comfortable until we can afford to move? Other than an electric blanket, etc.? She is on meds for pain, anti depressants, and Adderall to keep her focused (and btw, it also almost stops the pain.)
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Following suggjestions for pain relief... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. Until you can afford to move, I suggest to: - keep taking the painkillers as prescribed by her doctor - have her take warm baths with relaxing minerals and herbs (e.g.lavender) - apply local ant-algezic cream/gel to relieve pain and muscle spasms - get some massaging with physiotherapist or through physiotherapy devices as directed by her doctor - if the pain would become intolerable, should ask her doctor to start pain-killers and myorelaxants by injection for few days until improvement Hope you'll be able to move as quickly as possible. All the best! Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor