Does viral infection cause low platelet count?

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: Is it true that a viral infection can cause a TEMPORARY very low platelet count in that the PLT may fall a lot and return to normal even though the viral infection persists? Can the same be true of a bacterial infection? I realise that a temporary fall in the PLT can have other causes.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial infection can lead to very low platelets count.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.

You are true. Viral infection leads to very low platelets count and platelets count will increase after few days. Most common example is dengue.

Bacterial infection is not a common cause of low platelet count. But if there is bacteremia(bacteria in blood) then it leads to destruction of platelets and very low platelet count.

Mechanism is different but bacterial infection can also leads to very low platelet count. There may be associated other cause or may not be.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you very good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar