Does vegetarians get creatine deficiency?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I had a blood test taken, and my BUN level was at 6. I read that being a vegetarian can cause your BUN level to be at the lower end, and I am a vegetarian. Therefore, is my BUN level a concern?

I ask because I'm on a birth control method that can cause liver damage, and I had some darker urine a couple of mornings last week. My urine is normal now, and I was retaining water those days, but I didn't know how concerned I should be.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
high values more concerning than low

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Different labs may have slightly different normal ranges for blood tests.

The normal range for BUN 3 to 20 mg/dl, some labs have a higher lower limit -- their range may be 7 to 20 mg/dl

Your value of 6 is one the low end but within the normal range if 3 to 20 is used, you would have the range for your particular lab.
The use of meat can increase BUN levels and the fact that you are a vegetarian would put it at the low end.

The value does not mean anything is wrong. HIGH values can mean dehydration or kidney disease but low values are not as concerning

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions