Does use of antibiotics during pregnancy cause autism in babies?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I was diagnosed with Lyme disease about two years ago, went to both a regular dr and followed up with a Lyme literate dr.
Because I knew I still wanted to try and have a baby I asked Lyme literate dr for plan....she recommended taking low does of amoxicillin (500 MCG) and Zithromax (250 MCG) daily through the pregnancy....now I am taking these only Mon-Friday and also a quality probiotic. My fertility dr and OB did not have a problem with approach.

About a month ago, I started struggling with oral thrush, I thought it went away but it came back....I am scared.

Is this treatment plan reasonable? I am concerned that either the long term antibiotics or the issue with thrush will have caused issues with babies (I am expecting twins) Is it possible that these issues can cause autism in babies?
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Antibiotics are the PRIMARY choice for treatment and prevention of Lyme Disease (caused by Borrelia infection) during pregnancy period. However, most medical authorities advise AGAINST long-term antibiotic treatment.

2) Amoxicillin and Zithromax are QUITE SAFE during pregnancy. They can be taken in LOW dose if your OB doesn't has any problem with this approach.

3) Some preventive steps should be followed during this time like Protective clothing including a hat, long-sleeved shirt, long trousers tucked into socks or boots. Special care is to be taken in handling and allowing outdoor pets inside homes because they can bring ticks into the house. Permethrin spray is quite useful to kill tics.

4) Oral thrush cannot affect the baby inside the womb, but if pregnant woman still has thrush when they give birth, baby can develop the infection.

5) Those antibiotics will NOT be problematic. Periodic check up is mandatory for complete evaluation of fetal profile.

6) Recent study failed to find any evidence to back up a suggested association between Lyme disease and autism during pregnancy period. Therefore, you wouldn't be worried much unnecessarily.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr S Patra

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326