question-icon

Does usage of tea tree oil help in treating lichen planus?

Posted on Fri, 6 May 2016
Question: I was diagnosed with lichen planus 20 years ago and it seems to have three appeared. I read that if you apply Teatree oil it will help it heal. I did it for a few days the papules disappeared but now there's a large very tender red patch and I have a constant burning before during and after urinating.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Suggestive of of allergic reaction.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, Hi & Welcome.
Thanks for posting your query on Healthcare Magic.
After having gone through the history given in your query I am of the opinion that you have developed some sort of allergic reaction to Tea tree oil.
Tea tree oil is not a Food and Drug Administration approved treatment for Lichen planus involving the genitals (assuming to be to penis in your case) because of the safety concerns.
Had I been your treating physician I would have advised you to
1. Use 1% Hydrocortisone cream on the affected part 3 times daily for 1 week only and stop.
2. Apply Vaseline ointment after each application of the Hydrocortisone & after the first week, use it alone twice a day.
3. Avoid excessive irritation, wear loose cotton underwear.
4. Consult your treating dermatologist for an alternate but a safer medication to treat Lichen planus.
Hope the suggestions given above would be useful.
Best wishes/.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali