Does usage of anticoagulants help in curing blood clots?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: if anticoagulants were not used (pursuant to the surgeons orders), how can the clot(s) be managed so as to avoid the possible damage to the leg in the future?
p.lay
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that if the blood clots are located in the veins( deep vein thrombosis), anticoagulants are needed. This is the main treatment in this case.

Aspirin is not effective in this clinical situation. It does neither prevent nor treat deep vein thrombosis.

Otherwise, if the blood clots are located in the arteries , surgery with blood clot removal followed by anticoagulants and anti platelet agents is the main treatment strategy.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues. Consulting with a vascular surgeon may be necessary.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards
Dr. Iliri