Does usage of Kangen Alkaline water in purifier help in dissolving cholesterol levels?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: I have heard about kangen and alkaline water, i am buying even some bio+AAA filter which makes water ph as 9.5; i want to understand does that help in dissolving cholesterol, uric acid or other blood impurities?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that there is no enough clinical based datat to support these benefits of kangen and alkaline water in our body.

You should know that after it is digested, food and water goes into the stomach and no matter what pH it was when it entered, it ends up leaving the stomach at a pH of about 6.8..

From the other hand, no matter what we eat and drink, our body has effective mechanisms to keep your blood in a narrow range between 7.35 and 7.45. It is called homeostasis.

Anyway, it can have some benefits in the gastro-intestinal tract as it may neutralize the acid pH of the stomach, thus relieving stomach pain or gastro-esophageal reflux.

All the other supposed benefits from this type of water have not been based on any serious clinical studies.

There are just a lot of reviews from persons who have tried it and declare that it is really helpful.

But there are not studies to support its effects on the body and on the blood lab tests.

So, I can not recommend it with certainty that it will help lower your cholesterol and uric acid levels. I am not sure if it can justify its cost.

Regarding the urinary stones, as I already explained before, it does not matter the pH of the water that enters in our gastro-intestinal tract, as it is changed by our body.

The main thing to do in this case, regarding your uric acid levels and kidney stones is drink a lot of water. Studying the type of stones you have may help your doctor choose the best treatment options to help you solve you kidney stones problem.

Regarding your cholesterol levels, I would recommend recommend performing some modifications to your diet (low saturated fat intake, increase food reach in omega 3 fatty acids) and perform a lot of physical activity (aerobics) which can be helpful in regulating your blood lipid profile.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask me again whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri