Does usage of Cocaine cause recurring and swollen tonsil?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello doctor! I have a recurring swollen tonsil.
2 weeks ago it was the right one, today it's the left.
When it first started, my right tonsil was all swollen to the extent I had 7 days couldn't swallow even water. And now I'm afraid it's happening the same with the other one.
My question is, can it be related to cocaine use? as in being allergic to it?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please kindly provide some more information

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting to HCM.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

Can you give me some more information about it?

Do you have other symptoms that started around the time of the sore throat? like runny nose? Fever? Cough? Pus/white spots on the swollen tonsil?
Why do you think it may be related to cocaine use? Have you used cocaine before? Or just during this week when you had that swollen tonsil.

Thank you in advance for the information you will provide, because it will help me to give you a more accurate answer.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 10 hours later
Hello Doctor,

As other symptoms, it would be severe throat pain, slight fever as well and the feeling of a heavy head. Few pus spots on the tonsil but rather extremely inflammed
Concerning the cocaine use, it being my first time, the coincidence of the developed event made me think it could be it. Plus as a sore throat experience I have never felt the pain I am feeling today.

Your support is appreciated,
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible streptococcal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thank you for the follow-up question.

I dont think that the symptoms you are describing are from the cocaine use. Allergic symptoms do not include fever or pus. So I'm pretty sure it is not an allergic reaction.

What you are describing seems like a strep throat infection. You need to take antibiotics in order to get it cleared. This is the cause of it not getting better, because it is backterial not viral.

Use Amoxicillin 500 mg 3 times/day for 10 days.
If you are allergic to amoxicillin then you can use Azythromicin 500 mg the first day and 250 mg for 4 other days.

Hope this helps. Please close and rate the answer if I have answered your question.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj