• question-icon

Does urinary tract infection cause fever and vomiting in a child?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: My 3-year old granddaughter was in urgent care today after a long night of fever & Motrin doses. When I got her to the urgent care office with 102.7 fever, she said her belly hurt and she soon vomited all the juice she'd had that morning plus the tylenol given to her in the urgent care office. The PA tested for influenza, ear infections, strep, checked for possible appendix pain - all were negative. PA wants a urine sample to test for urinary tract infection but my granddaughter has been sleeping at home, feeling better now & holding tylenol & juice down. The fever and vomiting are still unexplained; PA feels the diagnosis process was incomplete. Assuming we need granddaughter to be seen tomorrow by her regular doctor, what might be going on? Are we risking anything by waiting until tomorrow for a further exam/diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the diagnoses she has. Observe her general condition.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your question.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

How much you were risking,depends on the diagnoses that your granddaughter has.

If she has a urinary tract infection, she is risking a lot because the infection may spread to the kidneys and cause permanent damage.
If she has just a viral GI infection, then she can get dehydrated, but it is not an emergency if she can keep fluids down.

I think the second diagnoses is more likely to be the cause especially if she continues to vomit and has other symptoms except fever.
Give her plenty of fluids - small amounts but often so she can empty her bladder often.
Observe her. Her general condition is the most important element. If she is not worse but better, then she is going to be fine. If she gets worse, then go to the ER, without waiting for tomorrow.

Hope this makes sense and answers your question.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako