Does untreated fungal infection recur?

Dr. Praveen

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Can a fungal infection came and go for over a year if left untreated
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes.Recurs if untreated

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for giving me an opportunity to address your query.

Fungal infections have to be treated for weeks to months depending on the are of involvement(skin, hair, nail etc).Incomplete treatment shall result in recurrence.

I would be glad to know where (area of involvement) is the infection?
How long had you taken the treatment?
Why do feel the infection has recurred?

Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen 54 minutes later
Ive had a red mark/scratch for 2 years at opening of urethra. Seen 6 doctors and no one is able to help. It was suggested to me to try a anti fungal cream and see if that might be the problem. So today i started using one i just was curious if a fungal infection could come and go over a long period of time. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does it itch?

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for writing me back.

I were to suspect yeast infection(candidiasis) since it is long standing infection.

Recurrence is commonly encountered especially if it is not treated properly or in the presence of diabetes.

I would be glad to know some more information.
Does it itch?Frequent urination?Is there any discharge?
Do you have diabetes?If yes, is it under control?

Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Praveen 12 hours later
It doesnt itch and i dont have diabetes. No discharge
Answered by Dr. Praveen 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could still be candidiasis

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for writing me back and sharing the information.

According to me it could be candidiasis. This is sometimes asymptomatic especially when it is long standing. I would recommend you to continue the antifungal cream for 4-6 weeks as suggested by your doctor. I would also add Tab.Fluconazole 150mg thrice weekly (Monday, Wednesday and Saturday) for two weeks. I am not sure if you get this over the counter in your locality. You may check with your pharmacist. However I would prefer using oral and topical (cream) simultaneously for better results.

Get well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad