Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Does type 6 and 11 strain of HPV causing genital warts considered as low risk? Can it cause cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

HIV AIDS Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2693 Questions
type 6 and 11 strain of HPV that causes genital warts are considered low risk. Can they turn into high risk type 16 or 18 the types that can cause cancer ? And can my genital wart be tested to be assured that it is the low risk strain. ?
And finally, can my genital warts (strain 6 and 11) turn into the other strain (16 or 18) if my girlfriend becomes infected ?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Serotypes cannot be changed. Girlfriend is safe from cancer

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query.

Sero-types of HPV will not get changed after it gets infected into somebody's body.There is no such possibility. You can take it granted that you had been assured by the test, that you had been infected with low strain HPV as far as genital cancer is concerned.
Similarly it could not be possible for your girl friend to get a HPV strain other than 6 and 11 from you, if at all she got infected with HPV.
So you both remain safe as far as the possibility of genital cancer is concerned as long as you both have a monogamous relationship.
Dr. S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Does type 6 and 11 strain of HPV causing genital warts considered as low risk? Can it cause cancer? 14 hours later
Can I be tested to find out which strain of HPV I have ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not in all laboratories, only in sophisticated lab

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

HPV sero-typing is not being in all Laboratories. It can be done in specialized virological laboratories available in bigger cities of developed countries like USA, Canada.

Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,  
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor