Does type 1 diabetes lead to thryroid disorders?

Posted on Mon, 7 Jul 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi, I am a type 1 diabetes from 8 years. I have a few questions about type 1 diabetes and thyroid disorders.
1.) Does being a type 1 diabetic put me at a higher risk of Thryroid disorders? I have no family history of either type 1 diabetes or thyroid disorder.
2.) What are the symptoms of thyroid disorder?
3.) Is there anything I can do to avoid it?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes you have the possibility of developing hypo

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX hi! i remember answering your queries earlier as well.
1. type 1 diabetes, hypothyroidism and celiac disease, go hand in hand and the triad is likely to occur in 40% of patients.
2. symptoms of hypothyroidism - weight gain, sleepy, constipation, depression, irritability, hair fall
3. not much really. it is autoimmune condition and all three are autoimmune conditions and happen as a part of the spectrum.
you need annual monitoring for thyroid disorder.
regards!
Follow up: Dr. Minal Mohit 13 minutes later
If I do get hypothyroid, can it be treated? If yes, how difficult or easy it is to live with it?
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
as simple as you think it is.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, gd mg! yes it is a manageable condition. and you need to take a single tablet every morning for it. that is all about it. it is easily acceptable condition and easy to cope up with. regards!
Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist