Does too much protein lower testosterone levels?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hey i am a 20 year old male and i used to take protein shakes. but i have stopped taking them 3 months ago. I am facing several problems since 3 months like i feel that i am not able to lose bowels properly, frequent urge to urinate, also i feel that i have lost my testosterone because even though i am able to eject sperms but testicles have become small abd loose.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
High protein leads to low testesterone

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but unfourtanetly high protein intake have been reported to cause decrease in testesterone production.. This is caused as high protein intake causes increase in insulin growth factor levels which interfere with the production of testesterone.. low testesterone can lead to testis shrinkage and decreased size.. I would recommend that you get a blood test of your FSH and testesterone levels..
Also high protein intake means that your kidneys need to function more in order to eliminate the toxins released from breaking proteins, chronically it can lead to renal damage so I would also recommend that you get a blood test to check on your kidney functions including urea and creatinine..
constiaption in a high protein diet is mostly due to cutting on the other food constituents as carbohydrates and fibers.. you can use lactulose syrup three times daily to relieve constiaption.. I hope you find this helpful..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 6 minutes later
but now i have stopped consuming protein simce 3 months and eating normal food and no supplements. I hope that i can get back my testosterone and this is not impotence?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cheek on your blood levels first

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hello again.. As I recommended you need to check on the levels of your blood testesterone and FSH first to be able to assess your status better.. This should also be followed by a scrotal ultrasound.. I hope you find this helpful ..