Does tonsillitis cause swollen gums?
I contracted tonsillitis off my 20 month old son last week and reacted with ulcers on my tonsils, burning pain in my chest when I try to eat and my jaw and teeth throb as well as my gums starting to swell.
This started last Wednesday, I went to the doctors on Friday after experiencing chills and a fever through thursday night and was prescribed a course of penicillin.
Subsequently the swelling in my throat is reducing and most of my flu symptoms are reduced. I still struggle to eat or drink anything other than water as this results in extreme burning pain in my lower throat (approx in my breast bone), my gums are still swelling, my tongue is cracked and jaw still hurts, plus I'm still having night sweats, feel very nauseous and have quite a bad head. The ulcers are also still visible on my throat.
I'm 32 mother of two, never smoked, don't drink and have no allergies I'm aware of.
Is this just part of the course and do I need to man up and just grit through it, if so any advice for managing the symptoms?
Thank you so much for your patience with this and any advice would be gratefully received.
Are you sure you have no penicillin allergy? If you are sure, this gum swelling mouth ulcers etc must be due to the viral infection which you had.
As you may be aware viral infections do not respond to antibiotics.
After the viral infection like flu many people get these kinds of problems including a feeling of severe fatigue.
Gum swelling is not from tonsillitis!
This will improve over 10-15 days.
Take some fresh fruits, juices, cold milk and some bland food.
For pain you can take paracetamol tablets.
You will improve soon. Do not worry
Regards Dr Uma
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Tonsillitis and swollen gums in a toddler
- Swollen gums after tonsillitis
- Swollen gums with tonsilitis
- Swollen tonsils swollen gums
- Bacterial tonsillitis swollen gums
- Tonsillitis fever swollen gums
- Red swollen gums and tonsils
- Does tonsillitis cause swollen gums
- Viral tonsillitis swollen gums
- Is swollen gums a symptom of tonsillitis
- 3 month child passing small stools. What is the problem and what should...
- 12 months old not getting erections. Should I be concerned?
- Child having watery stools after steroid treatment. Should I be concerned?
- How to make a baby sleep through the night?
- 45 days old passing stool more then 8 times. Feeding with enfamil state...
- Is it possible for an unborn baby measuring 149mm head circumference to...
- Noticed purplish dots under skin and swollen legs after vaccination....
- Why a child is feeling lethargic and complaining of abdominal pain?
- 11 months old getting a whitish layer on tongue. Does it require any...
- 11 month baby facing difficulty to pass stool. What treatment should be...