Does thyroid medication cause bone loss?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Do thyroid medications cause bone loss?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Long term use of levothyroxine can result in bone loss.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions. I noted you are on levothryroxine few years ago. Too much thyroid medication or poor management of the medication can cause increased bone loss and risk for fracture.

At this age where people are prone for osteopenia and bone loss if the thyroid supplement prescribed to you for a few years wasn't controlled one, it may be a aggravate bone loss. We can check TSH levels to see if it is supppressed overly (suppressed TSH are related to bone loss).

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Harish Naik