Does thyroid cancer treatment with nuclear iodine cause altered taste sensation?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, can you tell me if I will ever get my sense of taste back after treatment for thyroid cancer nuclar iodine ?treatment . no salt taste in my mouth. Is there anything I can take or do?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Taste

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your altered taste sensation. This is known to occur temporarily after radiation treatment of thyroid cancer. There is no specific treatment for this. It is often short lived. If there is pain in salivary glands then medication is considered. If the problem persists then you may wish to consult a neurologist in-person