Does thickening in the ascending colon require medical consultation?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I have had a ct scan done and it has shown I have some thickening in the ascending colon. I have no symptoms of hurting etc. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:

In many cases, the cause is not serious but should be assessed

Detailed Answer:

There are different causes of bowel thickening. In many cases, it is NOT related to a serious or life-threatening condition and this may be the case for you.

The seriousness would depend on any additional description of the thickening eg if they stated it was one small area of thickening eg less than 5 cm in length or if it extended over a wide area.
Also if there are any additional changes seen in the bowel besides the thickening

Some of the more common causes are-(1) infection of the bowel
(2)ischemia/ reduced blood supply of an area of the bowel
(3)persons with a history of inflammatory bowel disease such as crohns or ulcerative colitis
(4)diverticulitis- diverticula are outpockets or outpouches that form in the colon, in diverticulitis, these become inflamed. It is not a cancerous condition
(5)cancer of the colon

Your doctor would be able to let you know the likely cause based on the other aspects of the report or he or she may refer you to a gastroenterologist for further assessment and management.

Treatment depends on the cause found.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician