• question-icon

Does the usage of mustard oil help prevent pregnancy?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hey.
Does mustard oil used when trying to conceive prevents conception and thus getting pregnant ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Applying mustard oil anywhere does not prevent pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query. Please specify where is the mustard oil supposed to be used when trying to prevent conception. In any case, let me tell you that applying mustard oil anywhere does not prevent pregnancy if that is otherwise set to occur.

Although ovulation is supposed to occur on day 14, it does not always occur on that day. A folliculometric study (ultrasonogram to study the maturation of follicles from where the ovum is secreted) is needed to estimate the possible date of ovulation.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
MustArd oil was used as a lubricant in the vagina. Does it act like a spermicide . Does it prevent from getting pregnant . Please help.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does not prevent act as a contraceptive

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the clarification. Although mustard oil was thought to have spermicidal properties studies have shown otherwise. Studies have shown it to be sperm-friendly and therefore use of mustard oil as lubricant would not act as a deterrent to conception.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Anything else that you recommend is safe to be used as lubricant . As today is the day my follocle is 24.1 mm & 23 mm and i think it will rupture tomorrow . So it is an important day today , and i need to use some lubricant . Please suggest
Brief Answer:
Mustard oil should suffice. Avoid sesame oil.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You can go with the mustard oil. If you must use a lube, try Pre-Seed, a sperm-friendly lubricant. Or if you prefer a more natural lube, olive oil, vegetable oil, baby oil, and even egg whites are safe and effective. Commercial lubricants negatively affect sperm motility, making it harder for the sperm to reach the egg.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha