Does the intake of Clomid increase uric acid levels?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Women's Health
Question: My uric acid was normal before i started taking clomid to increase my sperm count now my uric acid is 7.43 how much zyloric i need to take and is it because of clomaphine citrate i am taking

Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXX,
Good day.
Hope you got the answer from the previous query.

Clomiphene citrate doesnt increase Uric acid much. ELevateion of uric acid is common in weight gain, obesity etc. We see this with metabolic syndrome as well.
You need to reduce red meat. ( if you take alcohol, that also need to be reduced or stopped). If your kidney functions are normal, you should take Zyloric 100 to 300 mg a day. If the kidney function is poor, the dose need to be reduced.

Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 14 hours later
thanks for your reply. please advise my wife tsh was 19 july last year and now its is 3.9 without any medicine is it possible that it can go down without medicine
so much. pls see attached reports

pls also advise if i stop clomid my testosterone levels drop and resulting in even lesser sperm count is fsh hcg injection the right thing and how to administor it
does it improve count and motility

pls also look into my wife reports as well

thanks waiting reply
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:

Clomid may not really improve your sperm count. You may have to discuss with your endocrinologist about FSH/hCG injections. You may also need a Y chromosome microdeletion study. there is a 40-50% chance of your sperm count improving with FSH/hCG if your testes volume is normal.
We need to examiine you before proper treatment can be done. I have already answered about your wife's problem in other question. Please attach her reports

Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 2 hours later
is this a blood test
Y chromosome microdeletion study.
your said there is a 40-50% chance of your sperm count improving with FSH/hCG if your testes volume is normal

what reports and test you need to see to have a firm opinion about above so that i can start and how much dose is needed and since sperms take 74 days aprox after how much dose i should stop it ( when to stop these injectoins what levels and for how many days should i take them /any side effects of them please advise

i have heard tribulus also helps increase sperms is it true some people say it damages the morphology pls advsie ?

thanks waiting reply
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Y chromosome microdeletion is a blood test.
Infact, if your FSH and testosterone are low, usually we may require an MRI scan of pitauray ( after checking prolactin and thyroid function. This was normal in your case).
If that is normal, we need to assess your testes volume. Testes volume is assesed by examination. If you have adequate testes volume, FSH/hCG injections may help.
Unfortunately, due to legal reasons i can not prescribe you a dose online. Usually it is injected as weekly two to three times.

Tribulus is a natural supplement and is herbal. I dont know if that works.

Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 34 hours later
thanks dr finally i see i am getting some where. I will get pitauray MRI done and send you reports pls also advise if testes volume is ok then how long fsh/hcG injections take to make more and better sperms as i want to have kids at soonest
dear Dr. I got my recent test done on 13 august and attached are fresh reports
i am still taking clomid and started zyloric 100 mg daily in the morning with breakfast

pls advise should i stop clomid or reduce the dose to 25 mg
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Noetd your reports. If FSH and LH are normal, pititary MRI is not needed. But if the levels fall on stopping Clomiphene, (and if your testosterone falls,) it may be worthwhile doing it. What is the latest semen analysis report ?

In any case, i personally do not feel that Clomiphene is a great drug in improving semen quality.

FSH /hCG injections are helpful in hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in up to 40-50% of cases. You may need minimum 6 months of treatment
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 18 hours later
thanks dr finally i think i am getting some where in past my fsh and lh and t levels dropped after stopping clomid but this time as you can see from reports they are at a good level i just want to maintain this level for atleast 3-6 months and see what imporvement i have in my count +proxceed might haelp to make motility a little better too
thanks once again pls reply to above message so taht i can close this discussion and go to review as well.

Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:

One thing to remember is that, for sufficient sperm production, you need good healthy population of sertoli cells in your testes and sufficient stimulation of those cells by FSH. Besides, the levels of inratesticular testosterone should be optimum. What you have to understand is that, normally, intratesticular testosterone is atleast 400 times more than serum levels. This is essential.

A normal serum testosterone doesnt guarantee that the intratesticular testosterone levels will be high. It is difficult to measure that. Hence, there is a good scope with hCG and FSH treatment over Clomiphene. I realize that your LH, FSH and Testo levls have improved. However, if the sperm count hasnt improved much, it may be better to think an alternative to Clomiphene. There lies the imporatnace of FSH/hCG combination.