Does the drug Metformin cause multiple births when taken to
There is a small chance of multiple pregnancies
Metformin generally is used in women with PCOS (polycystic ovarian disease) to regulate the cycles and improve ovulation, increasing their fertility and chances of conception.
There are concerns that Metformin may increase chances for multiple pregnancies so it is likely to have multiple pregnancies, even though in my opinion, chances are small.
This chance for multiple pregnancies is even higher if Metformin is combined with Clomid, another drug used to stimulate ovulation.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj,
General & Family Physician
Detailed answer below
The reason why I think the chances are small is that the studies available so far are few and with a small number of patients who report this happening to them.
Generally, if a phenomenon is common there are more studies available with a big number of patients.
So the fact that the data from the studies that deal with this are few, it is very likely due to a small number of patients referring to multiple pregnancies with Metformin.
I hope this answers your query. Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- is it hpv?
- I am 77 years old and one breast is very
- I felt a sudden sharp pain in my inside wrist
- Is there a sleeping aid that I can use with
- Hi, I have been having acne problems for the past
- Can you look at the results of a stool test
- Hi my names is Isabel I’m 24 years old and
- I have had bladder infection after bladder infection on going
- Where can I find a doctor who will test and
- Feeling weak for about a week ! Why ?