Does the consumption of Thyronorm tablet cause high sugar levels in blood?

Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 27 May 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My father was a thyroid patient for the last 10 years and now he has developed sugar level higher than the normal range...so I would like to know weather consuming thyronorm 25 or 50 mcg for a couple of years leads to diabetes?

My wife age 24 developed thyroid a little bit higher than normal range TSH 4.97 against 5. As per doctor during pregnancy it should be upto 3 and doctor has prescribed thyronorm 25 mcg to consume during the latter 3 months of her pregnancy and then after delivery of my up my baby she has been consuming thyroid medicine continuously for 6 months.The thyroid level was checked after six months and was found in normal range so thyroid medicine has been stopped.There was a gap of 6 months in taking thyroid medicine and the tsh level went high after 1 year of delivery.Subsequently she also developed one gall bladder stone which was operated and removed after bringing thyroid level to normal range.The thyroid medicine from then she is consuming regulary for 15 months and now it has been increased to 75 mcg as she is gaining weight.My question is that as my wife was consuming thyroid medicine whether it will have any impact on my baby as she was breast feeding and whether she has to continue the medicine lifelong and whether she may develop diabetics and high bp if she continue thyroid medicine for long period or is there any way to stop this intake of hormone?
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

The answers:

1. Hyperthyroidism is associated with increased sugars. Hypothyroidism is associated with slightly lower blood sugars. But these are usually seen in severe hypo and hyperthyroidism.

In hypothyroidism we are replacing thyroxine to maintain the normal blood levels of thyroid hormones. So this is not associated with increased risk of diabetes

2. Treatment of Hypothyroidism in mother with thyroxine is not associated with increased risk of thyroid disorders or diabetes in breast fed babies

3. Two test which will tell you whether your wife needs life long replacement thyronorm are
a) Anti thyroid antibodies
b) Ultrasound thyroid

If anti thyroid antibodies are elevated or ultrasound is showing damaged thyroid, she should probably take thyronorm lifelong.

4. Consuming Thyronorm won't put her at increased risk of developing diabetes or high BP.

Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help you.

Dr Ajish TP [MD,DM]
Consultant Endocrinologist