Does the consumption of Thyronorm tablet cause high sugar levels in blood?
My wife age 24 developed thyroid a little bit higher than normal range TSH 4.97 against 5. As per doctor during pregnancy it should be upto 3 and doctor has prescribed thyronorm 25 mcg to consume during the latter 3 months of her pregnancy and then after delivery of my up my baby she has been consuming thyroid medicine continuously for 6 months.The thyroid level was checked after six months and was found in normal range so thyroid medicine has been stopped.There was a gap of 6 months in taking thyroid medicine and the tsh level went high after 1 year of delivery.Subsequently she also developed one gall bladder stone which was operated and removed after bringing thyroid level to normal range.The thyroid medicine from then she is consuming regulary for 15 months and now it has been increased to 75 mcg as she is gaining weight.My question is that as my wife was consuming thyroid medicine whether it will have any impact on my baby as she was breast feeding and whether she has to continue the medicine lifelong and whether she may develop diabetics and high bp if she continue thyroid medicine for long period or is there any way to stop this intake of hormone?
See detailed answer
Welcome to HCM. I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.
1. Hyperthyroidism is associated with increased sugars. Hypothyroidism is associated with slightly lower blood sugars. But these are usually seen in severe hypo and hyperthyroidism.
In hypothyroidism we are replacing thyroxine to maintain the normal blood levels of thyroid hormones. So this is not associated with increased risk of diabetes
2. Treatment of Hypothyroidism in mother with thyroxine is not associated with increased risk of thyroid disorders or diabetes in breast fed babies
3. Two test which will tell you whether your wife needs life long replacement thyronorm are
a) Anti thyroid antibodies
b) Ultrasound thyroid
If anti thyroid antibodies are elevated or ultrasound is showing damaged thyroid, she should probably take thyronorm lifelong.
4. Consuming Thyronorm won't put her at increased risk of developing diabetes or high BP.
Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help you.
Dr Ajish TP [MD,DM]
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hcg level in blood and thyronorm
- Thyronorm and sugar level
- Thyronorm tablets
- Function of thyronorm tablets
- Does thyronorm affect blood sugar levels
- Consuming excess thyronorm tablets
- Pregnancy on thyronorm tablets
- Does thyronorm increase the fasting blood sugar levels
- Thyronorm impact on blood sugar
- Thyronorm effect blood sugar levels