Does testosterone replacement cause a high platelet count?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: Can testosterone replacement cause a high platelet count? My platelet count is 457. My count has risen 300 points in four months
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Hi, XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in.
There are few cases in which testosterone has improved the thrombocytopenia means decreased platelets. However there no such relationship noted in normal person.
I would like to know about the lung cancer. If it was small cell variety then it may be associated with paraneoplastic condition. In this case platelets increase in number.
Please let me know details about the same and also operative procedure.
Looking forward for your response.
Thanking you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 27 hours later
My question was can testosterone replacement therapy INCREASE blood platelet count. Count is 457. Legs and ankles and feet very swollen at night. My lung cancer was causght at stage 1 and surgically removed. Laporoscopic procedure. Operation was on Sept. 11, 2012. Don't know if it was small cell cancer. Mo chemo-no radiation.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 26 minutes later
Hi, welcome back XXXXXXX
I have discussed earlier that testosterone can increase blood platelet count if it given as therapeutic dose. But there is no such direct evidence showing its effects in normal persons.
I still suspects it should be small cell variety. It is highly sentive for chemoradiation.
Swelling at ankle and feet may due to edema or any lower leg vein pathology. If you have tenderness at calf region then please consult your physician as soon as possible.
Any further doubts are welcome.
Regards.