Does taking whey protein while diabetic have adverse effects?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: Sir I am diabetic 34 years old taking pills istamet 50/500 mg twice a day as prescribed , I am doing fitness gym and now I am interested in body building also, I want to know whether I can do...as diabetic cannot take whey protein or etc...and I am married and lacking in sex too Pl suggest
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that you can do fitness gym that is not an issue with diabetes but high protein shakes will not be recommended as they have a tendency to cause renal damage and since you are already diabetic so that can be problematic .

Plus you should not do vigorous exercises as that can also lead to hypoglycemia . Rest your marital issues are unrelated with your diabetes problem.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj