Does taking oxycodone and Ativan together require an ER consultation?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 15 Oct 2018 in General Health
Question: I was recently prescribed 10mg oxycodone for a very large painful cyst on my ovary. I've been taking it for a few days. Today I took my normal dose but then fifteen minutes later without thinking took 0.5 mg Ativan which I am prescribed for breakthrough anxiety. I quickly realized what I'd done and did some research. It said mixing these drugs is really dangerous and now I'm very worried. What should I do? Do I need to go to the hospital? I feel okay but I'm very nervous.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:

As long as you can breath well, not sleepy, all is fine!

Detailed Answer:

It is true that treatment modification is recommended because both medications can depress the brain to levels that you pass out.

The fear about them is not related to organ damaged but excessive brain depression that can lead to coma.

Be calm and monitor how sleepy you are. As long as you stay awake, all is well.

Tell persons around you that should you pass out or become too sleepy, they should take you to the hospital, which is very unlikely.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist