Does taking Tetracycline chloride help with cellulitis on ear?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have cellulitis on my right ear. I am taking 500 mg tetracycline chloride every 4-6 hours. I have no fever or chills. Only pain/throbbing & warm to the touch. Will this anti biotic be sufficient? Ive been taking it for 1 day so far. Please advise. I don't have money for a doctor.
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it can help!

Detailed Answer:
hello

Please try to meet your doctor as first thing is that we need to find out why you developed the cellulitis in the first place , that is , we have to look for the focus of infection.

You should also get your blood sugar tested as such infections are more common in diabetics.

tetracycline is a good drug , but there are many better drugs available which have better penetration in the ear and can give faster relief. You will have to meet your doctor for the prescription.

meanwhile you can continue your tetracycline.

Thanks

Follow-up: Does taking Tetracycline chloride help with cellulitis on ear? 3 minutes later
so the tetracycline will clear it up?

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it will

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes it will clear it up in 60-70 % of the cases , but will take more time than other antibiotics.

Follow-up: Does taking Tetracycline chloride help with cellulitis on ear? 6 minutes later
typically, how long will it take before I see any sign of improvement? it's been 1 day so far.

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wait for 2-3 days at least!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Ear infections specially of the external ear generally takes more time to heal and need antibiotics for 7-8 days,

You should feel better in 2-3 day and if that does not occur , or the pain/swelling increase , meet your doctor for changing the antibiotics and further treatment.

Get well soon!

Follow-up: Does taking Tetracycline chloride help with cellulitis on ear? 6 hours later
can I take ibuprofen with the tetracycline?

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes you can take!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes you can take ibuprofen with tetracycline but try to keep a gap of at least 30-60 minutes between both.

Take care!