Does taking Plaquinel for lupus affect the memory?
No such association
there is no association between hydroxychloroquine and dementia.
I was surprised by your question because I was not aware of any side effect like that and looked it up more thoroughly.
Your eyes should be your main concern (because it's more serious). There are other possible nervous system side effects like dizziness, headache etc but no direct effect on memory.
I hope you find my answer reassuring!
Please discuss the matter with your rheumatologist
hydroxychloroquine is very commonly used and serious side effects are rare. Many patients use it for years. Regarding your eyes, the danger is increased when you take more than 6.5 mg/Kg of your normal body weight. This is the body weight you should have according to your height.
Nervous systems side effects are rare. The thought process can be (rarely) affected when symptoms of psychosis ensue as a side effect. If you did experience side effects that upset you, the best thing you can do is discuss it with your rheumatologist. Of course he/she knows what to do.
If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for splenic cyst
- What causes dry throat?
- What causes itching in breast?
- What causes chest pain and heart burn?
- Suggest treatment for pain in heels
- Can i take Paxil along with Clonidine?
- Suggest ways to manage diabetes
- Does taking Plaquinel for lupus affect the memory?
- What does an enlarged lymph node on neck indicate?
- Is infection possible by touching a dead bird despite using a disinfectant?