Does taking Norvask cause memory lapse?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: About 12 yrs ago I had an infarct during orthopedic surgery, caused by fat embolism. I feel well, and accordingly to angiogram, have not even a trace of the coronary disease. My Cardiologist put me first on Coversyl, then swiched it to Norvasc, so my body will not get too used to the first drug. My question is: can Norvasc cause memory lapses? I did not have it on Coversyl, but have it from the first day on Norvask . It lasts about 4-5 hrs after takin the pill.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adverse Effect

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I have gone through the adverse effect profile of Norvasc which basically contains amlodipine. It does not cause memory lapses. However this side effect cannot be ignored, I recommend that you stop Norvasc and see if you are alright. You can temporarily switch back to coversyl.
Please approach your treating physician as soon as possible, the other alternative drug of the same class would be cilindipine, you can suggest this drug to your doctor, it has lesser side effect profile than amlodipine.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health