Does taking Micronor pill delay period?

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Birth Control
Question: Hi I am 42 and just started Micronor XXXXXXX Pill. I started taking pill today and my period was/is due start of next week, will I still get my period? l want to delay and thought by taking now this will do that?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue medication to delay periods.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Micronor(Norethisterone) 5 mg used to postpone the due date of menstrual cycle.
As you wanted to post pone periods you can continue Micronor (Norethisterone).

I would suggest you continue medication as per your doctor advice per day as long as you wants to post pone periods but not more than 14 days.

You will not get periods as long as you take the medication. If you take medication for one day your due date will be postponed for one day. Once you stop the medication you will bleed within 5-7 days.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
If you do not have any queries you can close the discussion.
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 19 minutes later
The doctor prescribed the XXXXXXX pill to help with periods and protection. Should I just take the whole packet for the 28 days then will I get my period then?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Minipill will not postpone the period.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Thanks for follow up query.
I am sorry I thought doctor advised pill to post pone periods.

You have mentioned doctor prescribed it to help with periods so I would like to know do you have any problems with periods like heavy bleeding,irregular periods?

If your doctor prescribed it as birth control pill for protection
Micronor birth pill will not post pone the period since it contains very low content of progesterone(350 mcg) but it may decrease amount of bleeding.

You have mentioned your due date is next week If you have regular periods Better I would advise you start micronor 28 from next cycle on wards.Anyways it will not give protection for first one week after starting pill.

If you wants to postpone the periods you need to take Micronor 5 mg or primolute N (Norehisterone) 5 mg three times a day 3 days prior to your date as long as you want to postpone.You can get this medication with local doctor prescription.
Once you get periods after stopping medication then you can start Micronor 28.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you.

Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 1 hour later
It was prescribed as I get a period every 21 days and getting fed up with constantly having a period. My question was if I start pills today will I have a bleed in 28 days or would it still be next week as I am due on next week. I am not so worried about the contraceptive side of it until next month. Thankyou. If it will still be next week I will take the Norehisterone instead.
Brief Answer:
You will get periods on due date.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Thanks for follow up query.
I can understand your concern.

Norethisterone(micronor XXXXXXX pill or micronor and primolute) is a progesteron used for multiple reasons like heavy periods,to postpone periods and as birth control pill.The only difference is dosage of medication in different conditions.

In your case doctor has advised to arrest continuous period.
You will get your periods on due date. Doctor advised this pill to regularize your menstrual cycle.
Since you were asking for postpone the due date I have given alternative option to you.

Still If you wants post pone periods I would suggest you continue micronor XXXXXXX pill (Norethisterone 350mcg) until 3 days prior to due date and switch over to Norethisterone 5 mg (Micronor or primolut n) and dosage as I have mentioned in earlier answer. Or if you does not want post pone you can continue minipill.
XXXXXXX pill may delay the periods but not always.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any quries I will be happy to help you.If you do not have any queries you can close the discussion and rate the answere if possible.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj