Does taking Flucloxicillin result in hypoglycaemia?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: After taking flucloxicillin for staph aureus, Can hypoglycaemia result?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, it does not cause hypoglycemia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

No, FLUCLOXICILLIN is not associated with nor does it have any causal relation with hypoglycemia.

Please perform a home blood glucose test to confirm whether the blood glucose is low or is it a subjective feeling of hypoglycemia only. Major symptoms of hypoglycemia may not occur till the blood glucose is less than 20 mg/dl. if its near the range of 20 then give dextrose tablets and go to the ER immediately.

Avoid alcohol intake as it too can lead to hypoglycemia.

If you are uncomfortable with FLUCLOXICILLIN then you may discontinue and ask you doctor for an alternate antibiotic.

If additional symptom like shortness of breath or flushing of face develop, then it points more towards an allergic hypersensitivity reaction. In that case please go to the E.R immediately.

let me know if you have any query
if not, please close the discussion and rate the answer.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D