Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

152 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Does taking Flucloxicillin result in hypoglycaemia?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 2920 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: After taking flucloxicillin for staph aureus, Can hypoglycaemia result?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, it does not cause hypoglycemia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

No, FLUCLOXICILLIN is not associated with nor does it have any causal relation with hypoglycemia.

Please perform a home blood glucose test to confirm whether the blood glucose is low or is it a subjective feeling of hypoglycemia only. Major symptoms of hypoglycemia may not occur till the blood glucose is less than 20 mg/dl. if its near the range of 20 then give dextrose tablets and go to the ER immediately.

Avoid alcohol intake as it too can lead to hypoglycemia.

If you are uncomfortable with FLUCLOXICILLIN then you may discontinue and ask you doctor for an alternate antibiotic.

If additional symptom like shortness of breath or flushing of face develop, then it points more towards an allergic hypersensitivity reaction. In that case please go to the E.R immediately.

let me know if you have any query
if not, please close the discussion and rate the answer.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Hypoglycaemia

doctor1 MD

My blood sugar levels are not under control though I am taking the medications. Namely zoryl m1 (glimperide 1 mg & metformin 500 mg) 2 times a day. Blood sugar levels are as below Fasting 135mg/do & PP 246 mg/DL My weight is 82 kg Please suggest...

doctor1 MD

I am XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I am suffering from Hyper Tension for more than 20 years, Since the last 10 years I am suffering from Type 2 Diabetes , Initially when I was diagnosed with Diabetes, 1st line treatment prescribed by my doctor was, Glycomet 500...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor my mother 65 years of age is suffering from diabetes and is taking amaryl 1mg and glycomate 500 twice daily. her yesterday fasting sugar was 84 and then we have taken her some sugar.. post which her sugar was 284. today in the morning...

doctor1 MD

Hi, my sugar level is 120 fasting . I am using amryl m1 in the morning and galvus met 50 / 500mg at night. Should I continue using. Are there any harms to my general health using them continuously. Should I switch over to Himalaya Diabecon or whatever please suggest me. I am sorry, I did not knew that you will charge me for small suggestions. I do not want any answers from you. Thanx, OK.