Does swelling on the head after an injury require ER consultation?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Fri, 30 Nov 2018 in Accident and Emergency
Question: My wife fell a few minutes ago and hit her head. Contact could have been with the floor or the edge of a table. Swelling was almost immediate and developed into a half inch wide by 1" lump almost 1/2 inch high. Applied an ice pack right away and the swelling subsided some. She seems alert and her eyes can follow motion of my finger in front of her face. Reasoning is sharp for someone with Parkinson's and she described the plot of an old movie from the title (The Best Years of Our Lives). Would it be safe to observe her at home and only go to the ER if she exhibits additional symptoms?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 minute later
Brief Answer:

Observe at home.

Detailed Answer:

With what you say it looks it is ok to observe at home.

Please rush to ER if she complains of a headache, if not responding to your talk. If she vomits or any deterioration in the consciousness.

You can upload a picture of the injury to check on the safe side.
Let me know if you have additional questions else you may close our discussion here.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Brief Answer:

Looks superficial

Detailed Answer:

The bruise looks superficial though not so clear in the picture.
You can wait. But it is not safe to have superficial injuries as well at this age and with Parkinson's disease.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Suma Parinam, General & Family Physician
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 2 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.