Does swallowing a large pill and coughing blood require medical attention?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I swallowed a large pill it took about 10 min. to dislodge . Went to the Doc. he gave me sucralfate, I am taking. I have no pain still small specs of blood , did cough up a piece of skin that was where pill was lodged. Do I need further exame?
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
wait and watch for 72 hours.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Some times tablets can breech the mucosa layer of esophagus.This might cause mild bleeding however body usually repairs the breeched mucosa itself with in a few days.
So right now no further test is rrequired however if blood is there even after 72 hours you may consult a Ear nose throat doctor for laryngoscopic examination.

Regards!