Does stress cause premature ventricular contractions?

Dr. Behar Greca

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been having PVC's all night long, and I'm starting to get scared. I'm having so many I can't even count them, every few heart beats at this point.

Had a lot of stress yesterday, and think this was what caused them to start.
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Caused by stress...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting!

I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns.

All of the symptoms you have experienced are related to heart palpitations.
Palpitations are symptoms that don't indicate a specific diagnosis and can occur even to healthy people.

In most common cases, these are cased by anxiety disorder, stress, panic attack and overload at work.

It is really important to manage stress, change of lifestyle and monotony, excess tiredness. You should also avoid coffee, alcoholic drinks, smoking(if you do smoke), spicy food, animal fat and egg yolk.

An electrocardiogram and Holter Monitor(24 h) are important for the diagnosis to be determined. But in cases like this, a blood test to measure the levels of electrolytes is also recommended.

You should consult your cardiologist for a precise evaluation of your condition.

Ask me for anything unclear.

Dr. Behar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T